Subject: Spiderweb

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 89 17:10:39 met

Dear Norman,

Thanks for your quick and helpful answer. It made me try it once again.

> I have only two guesses:
> 	-- you are somehow combining Spider with Silvio Levy's CWEB in a way
> 		that doesn't work
> 	-- you've got a buggy C compiler

Quite right. I was combining Spider with Silvio Levy's CWEB. See note
below.

> Please let me know more if you can, or at least tell me how big your
> tangle.c is, so I can tell if it makes sense.

This time I tried to follow the instructions real hard and it worked!
But I had some small problems.

When doing 'make boot' the link of ceetangle and ceeweave tries to get
the common object files from the cputype directory but they are not
there. They are compiled in the master directory! I just removed the
use of the cputype-directory and then it worked!

I also managed to destroy the tangle.c file in the master directory
when I typed 'make -p'. Well I shouldn't have done it but away it
went. Then I realised that this was what happened the last time I
tried to make spiderweb and that time I copied ctangle.c from CWEB
just to try it. Stupid me! This time I went back to my copy of the
distribution and got the real ctangle.c! The previous time I didn't
realised that it ever was in the master directory. I though it simply
was missing.

The programs are using the 'index' function that's not available on
SYSV. (I'm running HP-UX.) This should be substituted with 'strchr'
since I think that this is now normally available on both SYSV and BSD
systems. (I haven't checked that though! Maybe a macro is safer.) I
found no other system problem.

A small error when trying to print out the weave. I haven't tried to
find out why it fails. See output below.

	ceeweave -I../master weave.web
	This is C WEAVE (generated at 11:03 AM on May 23, 1989)
	*1*14*28
	! Illegal use of @ in comment. (l. 363)
	/* identifier =200 or octal @'
	                              310 */ *35*52*65*75*81*84*114*138*150*151*168*188*211*235
	Writing the output file...*1*14*28
	! Illegal use of @ in comment. (l. 363)
	/* identifier =200 or octal @'
	                              310 */ *35*52*65*75*81*84*114*138*150*151*168*188*211*235
	Writing the index...Done.
	Memory usage statistics: 722 of 3999 names, 2988 of 19999 cross-references,
		 9695 of 89999 bytes;
	Parsing required 822 of 1000(950) scraps, 1736 of 2000(1950) texts,
		 3749 of 20000(19950) tokens, 258 of 399 levels;

	Sorting required 47 levels

	(Pardon me, but I think I spotted something wrong.)

I can't find any collection of the improvements and/or differences you
have added to your weave and tangle nor can I find any users manual in
the same way as for CWEB. Well I will start looking through the
program documentation but if you have anything better I would
appreciate that.

Many thanks.

Yours matsl
---
Mats Lidell
 Swedish Institute of Microelectronics,  VHDL CAD Tools,
 PO Box 1084, S-164 21 KISTA, SWEDEN
 Tel: +46 8 752 11 42    Ttx: 128 75 INMIC S   Fax: +46 8 750 80 56
Internet: [email-masked] or {uunet,unido,mcvax,ukc,munnari}sunic!inmic.se!matsl