Subject: comp.fonts FAQ: Macintosh Info
From: [email-masked] (Norman Walsh)
Date: 14 Aug 1996 10:34:44 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.fonts,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: fonts-faq/part7
Version: 2.1.5

Subject: 2. Macintosh Information
  
Subject: 2.1. Macintosh Font formats
  
  Bitmap Fonts
  ============
  
  Bitmap fonts: on the Macintosh, bitmap fonts also contain the kerning
  information for a font and must be installed with both type 1 and type
  3 fonts. Their presence also speeds the display of commonly used font
  sizes.
  
  PostScript Type 1
  =================
  
  Postscript Type 1 fonts can be installed on the Macintosh only by using
  accompanying bitmapped fonts.
  
  PostScript Type 3
  =================
  
  Postscript Type 3 fonts are installed on the Macintosh in the same way
  that Type 1 fonts are.
  
  TrueType
  ========
  
  Truetype fonts: no bitmapped font is necessary with this type, though
  commonly used sizes are often supplied.
  
  QuickDraw GX
  ============
  
  This section was constructed from postings by Charles A. Bigelow, Peter
  Moller, David Opstad, and Michael Wang from Sep 93.
  
  What is it?
  -----------
  
  QuickDraw GX (QDGX) is the new Mac OS engine for handling screen
  presentation.  It has many advantages over older engines, among them the
  ability to get ligatures, swashes etc. on the fly.  QDGX is also a
  16-bit font format that allows for example users in Korea to run their
  machines in their native tounge as well as write.
  
  How is it related to Unicode?
  -----------------------------
  
  Although QDGX is a 16-bit encoding, it is "orthogonal" to Unicode
  Unicode, to use a jargon term.  A TrueType font, GX or otherwise, can be
  encoded using the Unicode standard, but that isn't necessary. However, a
  TrueType font, and especially a GX font, can contain glyphs for which
  there is no unique Unicode encoding, e.g. the 'fi' ligature, or a swash
  'a' with a trailing curlicue. TrueType GX fonts, however, contain
  additional information and structure that allows the QDGX system to
  properly substitute variant glyphs for certain characters in the text.
  For the above examples, QDGX will, if requested, look for the sequence
  'f' + 'i' and substitute the 'fi' ligature, or look for 'a' at the end
  of a line and substitute the glyph 'a-trailing curlicue'.
  
  It is really quite charming to see this happen, and it makes the font
  [...] a clever, trained circus dog that does tricks than a simple font.
  The GX fonts begin to show an additional personality beyond the image of
  the glyphs.  In fact, the font can contain a state machine that controls
  the substitution process--in effect, a computer program. There is
  provision for another state machine controlling kerning as well, to get
  around the problems that can arise with simple pair-based kerning.
  
  David Opstad contributes the following:
  
  The bidirectional text reordering algorithm defined in Unicode is fully
  implemented in GX (in fact, during our testing of GX we uncovered some
  problems with the Unicode specification!) Also, and most unfortunately,
  since Unicode is the product of an international committee process there
  were certain compromises that were made in the design, so there really
  are Unicode character codes for certain ligatures and contextual forms
  (e.g.  the "Basic Glyphs for Arabic Language" codes starting at U+FE70).
  Note, however, that GX does not use these; we do Arabic contextual
  processing the same way we do Roman contextual processing. Indeed, it
  is this uniformity of approach that is, I believe, one of GX's main
  strengths.
  
  One of my greatest hopes (that keeps me going after having worked on
  getting GX done for over five years now) is that we're going to see a
  real renaissance of fonts and creativity in font designs. GX finally
  gets us back to the elegance of calligraphy, with the repeatability and
  precision of the computer.
  
  What about rotation?
  --------------------
  
  QDGX supports full 3X3 transformations (including perspective) on all
  objects in the graphics system, including text. Anti-aliasing is not
  included in GX 1.0, but we're looking at it for future versions.
  
  Is QDGX limited to TrueType fonts?
  ----------------------------------
  
  Michael Wang contributes:
  
  Just to clarify, the component of QuickDraw GX that deals with font
  features like automatic ligature substitution is called the Line Layout
  Manager (which I'll abbreviate as LLM), and LLM features are
  independent of scaler technology. In other words, a Type 1 font can
  have all of the LLM features that a TrueType font can have under
  QuickDraw GX.
  
  In fact, Apple and Adobe bundle a GX version of ATM with the QuickDraw
  GX release along with a Type 1 GX version of Tekton Regular which
  includes lots of additional glyphs and supports most of the LLM
  features. If you are a Macintosh developer, there are beta GX versions
  of ATM and Tekton that you can play around with on the QuickDraw GX
  1.0b1 release that is part of the WWDC CD.
  
  Lawrence D'Oliveiro contributes:
  
  One implication of GX for font installation is that Type 1 fonts no
  longer come in "bitmap" vs "screen" versions that live in separate
  files: under QuickDraw GX, they live in "sfnt" resources, and install no
  differently from TrueType fonts.
  
  As of 1 Mar 95, QuickDraw GX 1.0.1 is the current release.
  
Subject: 2.2. Frequently Requested Mac Fonts
  
  Greek Fonts
  ===========
  
  This section was constructed from a posting by John Amanatides in Jan
  1995.
  
  There are three ways to get Greek out of a Mac.  Approach one is to
  simply use the Symbol font; this solution is the easiest but Symbol
  doesn't have accents and you cannot easily exchange files with friends
  in Greece.  Approach two is go all the way and install Apple's Greek
  system software on your Mac.  It would make it identical to a machine
  sold in Greece and is really only an option for the diehards.  Approach
  three is to just get a Greek keyboard driver and Greek typefaces.  This
  article talks mostly about approach three while it does also mention the
  others.
  
  First some background.  Until the early '80s the Greek alphabet included
  quite a lot of different diacritical marks.  Thus if you are interested
  in classical Greek you will need to get a polytonic version of the
  typeface.  Modern Greek now only uses accents, simplifying the use of
  the alphabet and this is normally what you will get when you ask for a
  Greek typeface.
  
  There are several encodings of the Greek alphabet.  ISO-8859-7 is the
  most standard.  It is an 8-bit encoding that uses the regular 7-bit
  ASCII standard in the lower 128 positions and Greek in the upper 128.
  Unfortunately, Apple did not use it (sigh).  Apple's encoding is
  slightly different in the upper 128 positions.  All modern Greek
  typefaces for the Mac seem to use this encoding and if you use it you
  can exchange files with your friends in Greece (and use Greek
  dictionaries!).  If you are interested in classical Greek things become
  a little trickier.  I don't know if there is a standard but Linguist's
  Software's (see below) encoding seems to be the most popular.
  
  Sources of Greek Fonts for the Mac
  ----------------------------------
  
  Apple
  .....
  
  You can go all the way with Apple and get their Greek system software
  but getting it is non-trivial.  In North America the only way to get it
  seems to be to get the "Apple Developer Mailing" from APDA.  Designed
  for developers, you get a CD mailed to you monthly.  The CD contains
  the most recent worldwide Mac system software along with a lot of other
  stuff.  It costs \$250 US and you get updates for a year.  The Greek
  system software contains TrueType versions of GrCourier, GrHelvetica,
  GrTimes and several bitmap versions of some of Apple's other typefaces
  along with the Greek keyboard driver.
  
       APDA 800-282-2732 US
       800-637-0029 Canada
       716-871-6555
  
  A second place to get Greek system software is in Greece.  Apple's
  distributor is:
  
       Rainbow Computer S.A.
       Elia Eliou 75
       Neos Kosmos, Athens
       Greece 117 44
       30-1-9012892 Voice
       30-1-9012540 FAX
  
  Just because you have the Greek system software doesn't mean you have
  to install the whole system;  you can just take the Greek typefaces and
  the Greek keyboard driver and use them with your current system
  software.
  
  Note: Linguists' Software (see below) also market version 6.0.3 of the
  Greek operating system.
  
  Linotype-Hell
  .............
  
  Linotype sells a variety of Type1 Greek typefaces in both modern and
  polytonic versions and in a variety of weights/styles: Times,
  Helvetica, Baskerville, New Century Schoolbook and Souvenir.  The
  easiest way to purchase them is to get Linotype's CD of locked
  typefaces (a new one is coming out in Dec. '94).  The CD costs \$49 US
  and comes with 4 free fonts.  A Greek keyboard driver comes with the
  typefaces.  Linotype can be reached at:
  
       Linotype-Hell Company
       425 Oser Avenue
       Hauppage, NY, 11788
       USA
       800-633-1900
       516-434-3616 FAX
  
  These typefaces are also distributed by FontShop (see below) Note: the
  new CD works on both a Mac and a PC and when you unlock a typeface you
  unlock for both systems.
  
  FontShop
  ........
  
  FontShop is an international chain of stores which supplies a wide
  variety of typefaces to both professionals and the rest of us.  Their
  North American address is:
  
       FontShop Canada Limited
       510 Front Street West
       Toronto, Ontario
       Canada M5V 3H3
       800-363-6687
       416-348-0916 FAX
  
  Monotype
  ........
  
  Monotype offers two Greek typefaces on their locked CD: Times New Roman
  Greek and Arial Greek.  Each typeface comes in four weights/styles.
  Their CD lists for \$49 and you get 8 free fonts (just enough for both
  of their Greek typefaces :-).  You can reach Monotype at:
  
       Monotype Typography Inc.
       Suite 2630, 150 South Wacker Drive
       Chicago, IL, 60606
       USA
       800-MONOTYP (800-666-6897)
       312-855-9475 FAX
  
  These typefaces are also distributed by FontShop.  Note: you get a 5 CPU
  license.
  
  Linguist's Software
  ...................
  
  Linguist's Software has typefaces for over 250 world languages and
  gives several options for those interested in Greek.  First, you can
  purchase the Greek operating system for the Mac version 6.0.3.  This
  includes GrTimes and GrHelvetica (Type 3) as well as several bit-mapped
  system fonts.  Second, you can purchase their modern Greek typefaces
  Olympus and Philippi (Times and Helvetica clones) in four
  weights/styles and in both Type1 and TrueType along with a keyboard
  driver for System 7.  Finally, they have their own TrueType and Type1
  typefaces in the LaserGreek package.  These are of particular interest
  to Greek scholars since they include extra diacritics for ancient/N.T.
  Greek.  This package now includes a Uncail typeface.  LaserGreek: \$99;
  Modern Greek + keyboard driver: \$99; LaserGreek + GreekOS: \$139;
  LaserGreek + Modern Greek + keyboard driver: \$139.
  
       Linguist's Software
       PO Box 580
       Edmonds, WA 98020-0580
       USA
       206-775-1130
       206-771-5911 FAX
  
  Ecological Linguistics
  ......................
  
  Ecological Linguistics also provides typfaces for a wide variety of
  world languages.  They have a polytonic version of Times (GreekTimes)
  in their GreekClassical package and monotonic versions of Times and
  Helvetica (GkTimes, GkHelvetica) in four weights/styles in their
  GreekModern package.  Both the GreekClassical and GreekModern packages
  are \$60 US each and come with a keyboard driver.
  
       Ecological Linguistics
       P.O. Box 15156
       Washington, D.C., 20003
       U.S.A.
       202-546-5862
  
  MacCampus
  .........
  
  MacCampus of Germany provides Greek and other Eastern European
  typefaces.  The Greek typefaces come in two flavors: those that are
  based on the modern Greek keyboard layout and those based on the Symbol
  font layout.  MacCampus provides a keyboard driver so that you can use
  the former type on non-Greek Macs.
  
  The typefaces available are:
  
  Modern Greek (Greek layout): Olympia (Helvetica clone) and Tiryns
  (Times clone) in 4 weights/styles
  
  Classical Greek (extra diacritics, Symbol layout): Agora Times,
  Parmenides (light, sans-serif)
  
       MacCampus
       C. Kempgen
       An den Weihern 18
       D-96135 Stegaurach
       Germany
       (0951) 296739
       (0951) 296425 FAX
  
  MacCampus typefaces are distributed by FontShop.
  
  Font World
  ..........
  
  Another Greek typeface distributor is Font World.  They also sell a
  variety of Eastern European typefaces.  They provide a package of
  keyboard drivers for a variety of different world languages.  The
  modern Greek typefaces are: FW Palace GK (Palatino?), FW Baskerfield
  GK, FW Peace GK (sans serif) & condensed version, FW Pithos GK
  (Lithos?), FW Stencil GK, FW Textbook GK, FW Tourist GK (Souvenir) and
  FW World GK (Times?).  They come in a variety of weights/styles and go
  for about \$100-\$200.
  
       Font World, Inc.
       2021 Scottsville Road,
       Rochester, NY 12623
       USA
       716-235-6861
       716-235-6950 FAX
  
  SkepsiS
  .......
  
  SkepsiS is a Greek publishing company that is heavily into Macs.  They
  have created and sell several nice typefaces in several weights/styles:
  Corfu (New Century Schoolbook?), Ithaca (Souvenir?), Rhodes
  (University?), Mykonos (Courier?), Paros (Antique Olive?), Samos
  (modern serif), GtcFutura (Futura?), Naxos (Eurostile?), Ios (?) The
  cost for a package containing the above is 60,000 drachmas.
  
       SkepsiS Ltd
       El. Benizelou 184
       T.K. 176 75, Kallithea
       Athens, Greece
       30-1-952-2086
       30-1-952-2088 FAX
  
  Magenta
  .......
  
  Magenta is a Greek company that sells typefaces for Macs and PCs.
  Their catalog lists over 70 typefaces with names like MgBodoni,
  MgOptima, MgAvantGarde, etc in a variety of weights/styles.  Most are
  modern Greek but they also have a few classical typefaces.  Each
  typeface family goes for about 8,500 drachmas.
  
       Magenta Ltd
       Antimaxou 17
       115 28 Athens
       Greece
       30-1-722-9292 phone/FAX
  
  Note, I have tried to contact Magenta recently and have gotten no
  response.
  
  Fronteiras
  ..........
  
  Fonteiras is a German company that produces non-roman typefaces.  They
  have 26 Greek typefaces, display and text, both polytonic and
  monotonic.  Some of the families include clones of Dynamo, Stencil,
  Broadway, Revue, Futura Black, Lithos, Industria, Insignia, Palatino,
  Helvetica, Times, etc.  Packages go for about \$150-\$200 US and include
  a Greek keyboard driver.  The monotonic typfaces have kerning tables and
  some have real italics.  (Most other vendors only have obliques.)
  
       Fronteiras
       Luisenstr. 22
       D-60316 Franfurt
       Germany
       49-069-4980498 phone/FAX
       [email-masked]
  
  Freeware/Shareware
  ..................
  
  There is a free classical Greek typeface called Ismini that is available
  on the net at:
  
  mac.archive.umich.edu:mac/system.extensions/font/type1/ismini.cpt.hqx
  
  Unfortunately, I don't think it uses the same encoding as Linguist's
  Software.
  
  Other Fonts
  ===========
  
  Many fonts are available at various archives.  The king of Macintosh
  font archives is mac.archive.umich.edu.  On mac.archive.umich.edu, the
  fonts are located in the following folders:
  
         /mac/system.extensions/font/type1
         /mac/system.extensions/font/type3
         /mac/system.extensions/font/truetype
  
  The following fonts are in Type 1 format for the Macintosh. Some are
  also available in TrueType format.
  
     * Tamil
  
       Paladam, T. Govindram
  
     * Hebrew
  
       ShalomScript, ShalomOldStyle, ShalomStick, Jonathan Brecher
  
     * Japanese
  
       Shorai (Hirigana, with application)
  
     * Star Trek
  
       StarTrekClassic, Star TrekClassicMovies, StarTrekTNGCrille,
       StarTrekTNG Titles, TNG monitors, StarFleet, Klinzai (Klingon font)
  
     * Command-key symbol
  
       Chicago (TrueType or bitmap, key: Ctrl-Q),  Chicago Symbols
       (Type3, key: 1), EncycloFont (Type3, key: d)
  
     * Astrologic/Astronomic symbols
  
       Hermetica (Type1), InternationalSymbols (Type 3, Mars and Venus
       only), MortBats (Type3), Zodiac (bitmap)
  
     * IBM OEM Line Drawing Characters
  
       Try Adobe PrestigeElite or Adobe LetterGothic. They have all the
       characters you want, but the `line draw' characters are unencoded
       -- you will need tools to reencode the outline font itself and
       make a new PFM metric files.
  
       Or try IBMExtended from Impramatur Systems in Cambridge, Mass.  It
       already is encoded using IBM OEM encoding (some DOS code page).
  
       The IBM version of Courier distributed freely under the X11
       Consortium also contains the appropriate characters.  It is
       distributed in PC format, however.  Again, the font will have to
       be reencoded for Windows.  Appropriate AFM files for this font can
       be obtained from:
       http://www.ora.com/homepages/comp.fonts/FAQ-tools.html.
  
  Many of these mac fonts are available in files that are either entitled
  xxxx.sit or xxxx.cpt.  xxxx.sit files are Stuffit archives.  xxxx.cpt
  files are Compact Pro archives. StuffitLite (shareware $25) and Compact
  Pro (shareware $25) are available at the standard ftp sites.
  Uncompressors for these programs (free) are also available at the
  archive sites. Check the utilities/compression utilities folders.
  
Subject: 2.3. Commercial Font Sources
  
  Commercial fonts can be obtained from a number of different companies,
  including the large font houses: Adobe, Font Haus, Font Company,
  Bitstream, and Monotype. At these companies, fonts cost about $40 for a
  single face, and must be purchased in packages. Adobe, Bitstream, and
  Monotype also sell pre-designated type collections for slightly lower
  prices.
  
  Image Club sells a wide selection of fonts for about $50 for a 4 font
  family.
  
  Other, cheaper companies sell fonts of lesser quality, including
  KeyFonts, which sells a set of 100 fonts for $50 and Casady & Green's
  Fluent Laser Fonts, a set of 79 fonts for $99. Casady & Greene also
  sells Cyrillic language fonts in Times, Bodoni, and Helvetica sell for
  about $40 for each 4 font family.
  
  Foreign language fonts, ranging from Egyptian hieroglyphics to Cyrillic
  can be obtained from Ecological Linguistics.
  
  Please consult the vendor list for a more complete list of vendors.
  
Subject: 2.4. Mac Font Installation
  
     * System 7
  
       Install the fonts by opening the suitcase containing the bitmap
       file and dropping the fonts into your system suitcase, located
       inside your system folder. You will need to quit all other
       applications before doing this.  For a TrueType font, the icon for
       the font will have a stack of "A"s in it, instead of just one.
       Dropping it into your system suitcase will make all sizes of the
       font available. For Postscript type 1 fonts, you also need to
       place the printer font in the extensions folder in your system
       folder. If you are using ATM you need to place these fonts in the
       root level of your system folder (not inside another folder).
       Using Suitcase, a font management utility, you can avoid
       cluttering your system folder with printer fonts.
  
       You can make new suitcases of fonts (generally not needed, but
       used by those who use Suitcase) by using Font DA mover.  It
       operates the same as in system 6, except that the most recent
       version must be used.
  
     * System 6
  
       Bitmap fonts can be installed using Font DA mover to move the
       fonts, located inside suitcases, into your system. You will need
       to restart your computer to make these fonts available. Printer
       fonts must be placed in the system folder, not inside any other
       folder.
  
       Truetype fonts can be used with system 6 if you get the Truetype
       init.  Then the fonts can be installed in your system with Font DA
       mover.  Suitcase can also be used under system 6.
  
Subject: 2.5. Mac Font Utilities
  
     * SUITCASE
  
       Suitcase is a nifty little system extension that lets you avoid
       having to install fonts into your system. In system 6, it means
       that you can avoid restarting your system every time you want to
       install a new font.
  
       In system 7, Suitcase lets you avoid quitting all applications
       before making fonts available. Some programs, like Quark Xpress
       will automatically update their font list when you open a new
       suitcase, allowing much more flexibility in opening and closing
       font suitcases and making different sets of fonts available.
  
       Suitcase appears in your Apple menu in both system 7 and 6 and
       allows you to open suitcases, as though they were files, thus
       making the fonts contained in them accessible to programs.
  
       In addition, when suitcase is installed, printer fonts can be
       stored with the bitmap suitcases they correspond to, instead of
       having to drop them into your system folder.
  
       The most recent version of Suitcase is compatible with TrueType.
       Suitcase is about $54 from the mail order places.
  
     * Carpetbag
  
       A shareware program with functionality equivalent to Suitcase.
  
     * MASTER JUGGLER
  
       Does similar things
  
     * ATM
  
       Adobe Type Manager is an Init and Control panel allows accurate
       screen display, at any size of PostScript type 1 fonts. It's
       function is replicated with Truetype (but for different outline
       font format). With it installed, you can print fonts of any size
       to non-PostScript printers. When using ATM, printer fonts must
       either be stored with the bitmap files opened with suitcase (when
       using Suitcase), or they must be stored in the root level of the
       system folder (with System 7.0, printer fonts must be stored in
       the Extension folder if you are not using Suitcase). ATM is now
       available, with the System 7.0 upgrade, as well as directly from
       adobe with 4 Garamond fonts.
  
       ATM is not built into System 7.1 as previously expected.  With
       System 7.1, printer fonts must be stored in the Fonts folder if
       you are not using Suitcase.
  
       If you are using version 7.x prior to 7.1, the following hack
       allows you to have a Font folder (if you don't use Suitcase):
  
       Open the second 'DCOD' resource from the ATM 68020/030 file. Do an
       ASCII search for the string "extn" and change it to "font" (it's
       case sensitive). Save, close, and Reboot.
  
       This process should work for 68000 machines using the proper ATM
       file instead.
  
     * Super ATM
  
       This is a utility that will create fonts, on the fly, that match
       the metrics of any Adobe-brand fonts you don't have.  It does a
       remarkably good job of mimicry because it uses two "generic"
       Multiple Master typefaces, serif and sans serif to simulate the
       appearance of the missing typefaces. (There is a 1.4 megabyte
       database file that allows Super ATM to simulate the fonts that
       aren't there.)  You also get Type On Call (a CD-ROM), which has
       locked outline fonts, and unlocked screen font for all but the
       most recent faces in the Adobe Type library.
  
     * TTconverter
  
       A shareware accessory available at the usual archives will convert
       Truetype fonts for the IBM into Macintosh format.
  
     * reAdobe
  
       Converts text (PFA) format PostScript Type 1 fonts into Mac format.
  
     * unAdobe
  
       Converts Mac format PostScript Type 1 fonts into text (PFA) format.
  
     * Microsoft Font Pack
  
       If you work with a mixture of Macs and PCs running Windows 3.1,
       this is a good deal; 100 TrueType fonts compromising the Windows
       3.1 standard set and the two Font Packs for Windows. This includes
       various display fonts, the Windows Wingdings font, and the Lucida
       family.
  
  A variety of programs, for example, Font Harmony, etc. will allow you
  to change the names and ID numbers of your fonts.
  
  Fontmonger and Metamorphosis will let you convert fonts among several
  formats (type 1 and 3 and Truetype for the Mac and PC), as well as
  letting you extract the font outlines from the printer fonts.
  
Subject: 2.6. Making Outline Fonts
  
  This is very, very difficult. Many people imagine that there are
  programs that will simply convert pictures into fonts for them. This is
  not the case; most fonts are painstakingly created by drawing curves
  that closely approximate the letterforms. In addition, special rules
  (which improve hinting, etc.) mandate that these curves be drawn in
  specific ways. Even designing, or merely digitizing, a simple font can
  take hundreds of hours.
  
  Given that, there are two major programs used for font design on the
  Macintosh, Fontographer ($280) and FontStudio ($400). These programs
  will allow you to import scanned images, and then trace them with
  drawing tools.  The programs will then generate type 1, 3, TrueType and
  Bitmap fonts for either the Macintosh or the IBM PC. They will also
  generate automatic hinting. They also open previously constructed
  outline fonts, allowing them to be modified, or converted into another
  format.
  
  As far as I know, there are no shareware programs that allow you to
  generate outline fonts.
  
Subject: 2.7. Problems and Possible Solutions
  
    1. Another font mysteriously appears when you select a certain font
       for display.
  
       This is often the result of a font id conflict. All fonts on the
       Macintosh are assigned a font id, an integer value. When two fonts
       have the same id, some programs can become confused about the
       appropriate font to use. Microsoft word 4.0 used font id's to
       assign fonts, not their names.  Since id's can be different on
       different computers, a word document's font could change when it
       was moved from one computer to another. Other signs of font id
       problems are inappropriate kerning or leading (the space between
       lines of text).  Some font ID problems can be resolved by using
       Suitcase, which will reassign font ID's for you, as well as saving
       a font ID file that can be moved from computer to computer to keep
       the id's consistent.  Font ID problems can also be solved with
       several type utilities, which will allow you to reassign font
       id's.  Most newer programs refer to fonts correctly by name
       instead of id number, which should reduce the frequency of this
       problem.
  
    2. When using a document written in MSWord 5.0, the font mysteriously
       changes when you switch from your computer at home to work, or
       vice versa.
  
       This is the result of a bug in MSWord 5.0. The MSWord 5.0 updater,
       which can be found at the info-mac archives at sumex (in the demo
       folder), will fix this bug.
  
Subject: 2.8. Creating Mac screen fonts
  
  Creating Mac screen fonts from Type 1 outlines
  ==============================================
  
  Peter DiCamillo contributes the following public domain solution:
  
  BitFont is a program which will create a bitmapped font from any font
  which can be drawn on your Macintosh.  In addition to standard
  bitmapped fonts, it works with Adobe outline fonts when the Adobe Type
  Manager is installed, and works with TrueType?  fonts.  BitFont will
  also tell you how QuickDraw will draw a given font (bitmapped, ATM, or
  TrueType) and can create a text file describing a font and all its
  characters.
  
  BitFont was written using MPW C version 3.2.  It is in the public
  domain and may be freely distributed.  The distribution files include
  the source code for BitFont.
  
  Berthold K.P. Horn contributes the following solution.
  
  This is a commercial solution.  A font manipulation package from Y&Y
  includes:
  
  AFMtoPFM, PFMtoAFM, AFMtoTFM, TFMtoAFM, AFMtoSCR, SCRtoAFM, TFMtoMET,
  PFBtoPFA, PFAtoPFB, MACtoPFA, PFBtoMAC, REENCODE, MODEX, DOWNLOAD,
  SERIAL, and some other stuff I forget.
  
  To convert PC Type 1 fonts to Macintosh use PFBtoMAC on the outline
  font itself; then use AFMtoSCR to make the Mac `screen font'
  (repository of metric info). You may need to use PFMtoAFM to first make
  AFM file.
  
  To convert Macintosh font to PC Type 1, use MACtoPFA, followed by
  PFAtoPFB.  Then run SCRtoAFM on screen font to make AFM file.  Finally,
  run AFMtoPFM to make Windows font metric file.
  
  Y&Y are the `TeX without BitMaps' people (see ad in TUGboat):
  
  Y&Y makes DVPSONE, DVIWindo, and fonts, for use with TeX mostly, in
  fully hinted Adobe Type 1 format.
  
             Y&Y, Inc., 45 Walden Street, Concord MA 01742 USA
  
                              (800) 742-4059
  
                          (508) 371-3286 (voice)
  
                           (508) 371-2004 (fax)
  
  Mac Screen fonts can be constructed from outline fonts using
  Fontographer, as well.