Subject: VPLUtils 1.2 available (was Makevpl)
From: [email-masked] (Angus Duggan)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1993 09:45:17 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex

VPLUtils 1.2 is available from ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk:pub/ajcd/vplutils.tar.Z.
This release contains a second PL/VPL manipulation program, spacevpl, for
adjusting character bounding boxes and sidebearings. It has also been
modularised, to extract the generic VPL parser, encoding vector parser, and
path searching routines from the main programs.

Makevpl is a Perl script that merges several PL and/or VPL files, writing a
VPL file as output. Command-line options control which fontdimens and bits of
character information are added to the output font. Seperate control over
the character width, height, depth, italic correction and character mappings
are possible. Ligatures, kerns, delimiter lists and variable size characters
are all dealt with. Fonts can be re-encoded, re-scaled, and merged.

Spacevpl is a Perl script that adjusts character dimensions and horizontal and
vertical placement in PL and/or VPL files. Character dimensions can be
specified as algebraic expressions involving the original character dimensions,
designsize, and the operators +, -, *, and /.

(PL and VPL files are TeX's property list and virtual property list files,
which describe the character metrics and mappings.)

Unfortunately Makevpl and Spacevpl are quite slow.

a.
--
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| Local TeX archive at
University of Edinburgh, The King's Buildings,  | ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk in pub/tex:
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| dvips, dviutils, lots more
INET: [email-masked] | JANET: [email-masked] | PHONE: +44(0)31 650 5126