Subject: About-Quran.grd
From: [email-masked] (ali)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1993 04:42:51 UTC
Newsgroups: soc.culture.iranian

hi!
Here is README file for QURAN-SERVER. I will try to put it in tehran,
but I am not sure if they accept this! In the case they do not put
this in tehran.stanford.edu, I'll send it part by part to SCI. I hope
this be useful and you get no problem in using it!
ali
 
**********************************************************************

                         | |           | |    | | |                         
                 _o_;_7 _| |   . _o_7 _| |  4_|_| |   _o_w_;                
                (  ..  /      (_)    /               (    .                 

This is result of the work I have done to prepare a "Quran Server" for
simple and easy usage. You only need to go to "QURAN-SERVER" directory
and execute "Quran" program by typing "Quran"! It asks a few questions
and then displays a verse of Quran, randomly (estekharat) or by giving
the address (chapter and verse numbers). This package contains :

   1 Books/                             Directory containing data files,
   1 Etc/                          Directory containing some help files,
  13 Quran                                             The Perl program,
   3 README                                                   This file,
     Books/:

 336 Quran-Pickthal.txt.Z               Pickthal's translation of Quran,
 328 Quran-Shakir.txt.Z                   Shakir's translation of Quran,
 376 Quran-YousufAli.txt.Z            Yousuf Ali's translation of Quran,
 200 Quran.grd.Z                                 Quran in gerdsooz code,

       Etc/:

   2 SURAT-LIST      The list of chapters of Quran in traditional order,
  44 VERSE-LIST      The list of all verses addresses (for estekharat) ,
   3 mikhi-10                          small fonts for gerdsooz program,
 
  There are a couple of things I have to mention! First as you can see all
  date files are in compressed format (unix "compress") and it is better to
  replace them bye gzip compressed because this way you can save them in a
  smaller space. But if you do this REMEMBER you have to edit "Quran" and
  replace all ".Z" in the of the path to data files with ".z" or ".gz" , 
  whatever your system uses to name gzip files. Second, I got data files
  from some ftp sight, and considering that they are available from many
  different ftp addresses, I don't mention that special address here!
  Shakir translation was not a single file and it took me a while to make
  a single file of it ( Putting verses in single lines containing the 
  address of the verse at the end of line ....). There are still too many
  small mistakes in data files like : consecutive words attached together,
  some (only 2 or 3) verses are missing(!), ... .
  Gerdsooz file is my own contribution! But honestly it took me about a few
  hours to make it!! So, not such a big deal! 
  ali
 **************************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to [email-masked].
Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to [email-masked].